BREWERS, MERCHANTS & RETAILERS

ANGUS James (1811 – 1869)

GLASSMAKER AND CHINA MERCHANT Situated in the Consecrated/West Section of Jesmond Old Cemetery. James was born in Alnwick on the 12th September 1811, the oldest of seven brothers, his parents being James Angus, born in Alnwick, and Ann nee Smith, born in Lesbury, Northumberland. James and his wife, Elizabeth, had six children in total; Ellen, […]

BAINBRIDGE Emerson Muschamp (1817 – 1892)

SHOPKEEPER SUPREME, METHODIST Situated in the Unconsecrated/East Section of Jesmond Old Cemetery. Emerson Muschamp Bainbridge, founder of Bainbridge’s department store, was youngest of seven children born to Cuthbert Bainbridge and Mary Muschamp (whose family had married into the Emerson’s at an earlier date). Born at Eastgate, Weardale, where his father was a yeoman farmer, he […]

CROSSLING Thomas (1829 – 1888)

PLUMBER’S MERCHANT Situated in the Unconsecrated/East Section of Jesmond Old Cemetery. Founder of the local firm of plumbers and paint merchants in 1855 on Clayton Street. Their current premises are prominently placed on the Coast Road. 

DEUCHAR Robert (1831 – 1904)

BREWER AND PROPERTY SPECULATOR Situated in the Consecrated/West Section of Jesmond Old Cemetery. Robert, with his three younger brothers, arrived in Newcastle from Forfarshire in the 1860s and from small beginnings as an innkeeper in Newgate Street (the Chancellor’s Head) prospered to such an extent that by 1900 he owned 40 licensed houses on Tyneside, […]

DOVE John (1789 – 1860)

CEMENT MANUFACTURER Founder of a cement manufacturing business at the Close, 1854.

FENWICK John James

OWNER OF FENWICK’S DEPARTMENT STORE Situated in the Unconsecrated/East Section of Jesmond Old Cemetery. Born at Richmond in Yorkshire and one of 11 children, this son of a grocer attended local schools before moving to Stockton at 14 to become an apprentice draper. Aged 22 he was advised to move to Newcastle for better opportunities […]

FREEMAN II Patrick (1816 – 1894) & FREEMAN Patrick (1845 – 1888)

MILLERS Situated in the Consecrated/West Section of Jesmond Old Cemetery. The Freeman family were tenant farmers and corn millers in the High Heaton area of Newcastle for several decades before land development forced them away in the 1860s. However, their name is remembered locally in such names as Freeman Hospital, Freeman Road and Paddy Freeman […]

GARRET William (1795 – 1857)

BOOKSELLER William Garret was the son of a hairdresser in the Bigg Market. He served his apprenticeship with Emerson Charnley, the noted bookseller, where he eventually became the Foreman and then General Manager of the business. Garret later set up his own business in Moseley Street, where he was accepted as a specialist on the works […]

LAING Alexander (1828 – 1905)

WINE MERCHANT AND PATRON OF THE ARTS Situated in the Consecrated/West Section of Jesmond Old Cemetery. In 1900 Newcastle Corporation, aware that Newcastle lacked the sort of art gallery possessed by other important town and cities, earmarked a site next to the Free Library in New Bridge Street and began to seek subscriptions. When only […]

MURTON Henry (1818 – 1875)

FOUNDER OF MURTON’S STORE. In 1848, Henry Murton founded an agency for the sale of industrial rubber products next door to the premises of George Angus in Grey Street. His son, Henry Angus Murton continued the business and took over the Angus premises in 1868. In 1902, Henry Angus moved to a Grainger Street site […]

PUMPHREY Thomas (1833 – 1911)

COFFEE DEALER AND TEETOTALLER Situated in the Unconsecrated/East Section of Jesmond Old Cemetery. Thomas Pumphrey, a Quaker and strict teetotaller, was so appalled at the amount of heavy drinking taking place near his grocer’s shop in the Cloth Market area of Newcastle that in 1887 he recognised a business opportunity and converted the first floor […]

ROBSON Robert (1812 – 1878)

FURNITURE MANUFACTURER Situated in the Unconsecrated/East Section of Jesmond Old Cemetery. For about a century, Robson’s furniture and furnishings store stood on Northumberland Street, at its corner with Saville Row, gradually expanding in size as its quality products grew in reputation. Robert Robson, upholsterer and cabinet maker, established the business in 1835 in a small […]