ANGUS James (1811 – 1869)

GLASSMAKER AND CHINA MERCHANT

Situated in the Consecrated/West Section of Jesmond Old Cemetery.

The burial place of James Angus.

James was born in Alnwick on the 12th September 1811, the oldest of seven brothers, his parents being James Angus, born in Alnwick, and Ann nee Smith, born in Lesbury, Northumberland.

James and his wife, Elizabeth, had six children in total; Ellen, who died aged 4, Ellen who died in infancy, as did Sarah, James died aged 12, Elizabeth died aged 19 and John died aged 18. John was a member of the Sunderland Rifle Volunteers and was buried with full military honours. The 1841 Census has James, Elizabeth and children Elizabeth and James, living in Grainger Street, Newcastle, where James is recorded as being a ‘china dealer’; ten years later, James, his wife Elizabeth and youngest son John, are now living in St. Thomas’s Street, Newcastle and James is recorded as being a ‘glass and china merchant’ and, by the time of the 1861 Census, James is now on his own, apart from a ‘housekeeper’, and living in Eden Street, Sunderland, where his occupation is recorded as a ‘glass manufacturer’.

The move to Sunderland and his role as a ‘glass manufacturer’ corresponds with James taking over the Wear Flint Glass works in 1857, with his partner Henry Greener. The partnership changed the name of the company to ‘Angus and Greener’ and, on the death of James 12 years later, the company changed its name to ‘Henry Greener’ and then to ‘Greener & Co.’ in 1885.

In terms of the reference to ‘Grainger Street’ on James’ monument, there are adverts in the local press by Ray & Company (late James Angus) of 13, Grainger Street, selling ‘cheap china, glass and earthenware’.

James’ sudden death, at the age of 58, occurred at his home address, this now being Toward Street, Sunderland. He left an estate of under ¬£7000.