Situated in the Consecrated/West Section of Jesmond Old Cemetery.
John Green was born near Corbridge, the son of a village carpenter. Talented and hard working, he became a successful architect-builder and moved first to Corbridge and then to Newcastle, where two of his better known works are the Literary and Philosophical Society (1822) and the old Scotswood Suspension Bridge (1831). For several years, John was also architect to the estates of the Duke of Northumberland.
Benjamin Green, son of John, was specially trained by Pugin the architect and entered business with his Father in the 1830’s. Perhaps the best known buildings in Newcastle credited to them are the Theatre Royal by John and Benjamin (1837) and Grey’s Monument by Benjamin (1838).
John Green’s Great, great, great Grandson, Mr Andrew Tredinnick, has supplied us with the following information:
Other works by John Green include the Scotswood Chain Bridge (now demolished) for which he was presented with an engraved silver wine jug, pictured below, currently on display in the Tyne Challenge Gallery at the Discovery Museum. also, the Ouseburn and Willington Dene Railway Viaducts, for which he received the Telford Medal for his design using laminated timbers. Benjamin Green is credited with designing the Penshaw Monument.