HENRY MURTON (1818 - 1875)

FOUNDER OF MURTON'S STORE.

In 1848, Henry Murton founded an agency for the sale of industrial rubber products next door to the premises of George Angus in Grey Street. His son, Henry Angus Murton continued the business and took over the Angus premises in 1868. In 1902, Henry Angus moved to a Grainger Street site at the corner of the Bigg Market and stayed there as a retail store until the shop was sold to the Co-Op in 1957. The magnificent tomb, two metres high, with classical pilasters, commemorates many members of the Murton family
.
















































 
  Site Map