OPEN FOR BURIALS

The western half of the cemetery was consecrated by the Bishop of Durham on 11th November 1836 and declared open for burials five days later. On 9th December Margaret Redford Hoy, the 14-year-old daughter of a Newcastle grocer, was the first to be buried in the cemetery. Her grave, in the non-conformist section, was unmarked.

By 1845 non-conformist family vaults near the Middle Walk were not selling as well has been expected so this land too was consecrated by the Bishop of Durham.

Read More: Proposed Upheaval


 
  Site Map